Thunderbird launches a browser when image URL's are in the message

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Thu May 3 16:13:49 UTC 2007

I'm not sure when this started happening but Thunderbird started
automatically launching a Firefox "Tab" for every URL to an image
embedded in an html email.  If I read an email with many URL's to images
I get tons of tabs with the those darn tiny  images, one tab per image.
I don't see a configuration option in  Thunderbird's  "about:config" to
turn this off.  Am I missing the obvious?

Thanks

Doug P