make a 'save as' of emails in Kmail and save in an KDE folder

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Wed May 2 14:57:03 UTC 2007

> I've tried to do so with the KMail, saving in the Konqueror, but the saved
> document resulted to be an 'MBOX', and I don't know how to open it, when I
> wish to do so.

Hi,
I am not a pro and there are various formats that email can get stored in, so
YMMV.

I'm not sure of your situation at the moment, it sounds like you have old
email that you want to look at and use.
You can import the messages from a previous mail store (a folder), go to
File -> Import Messages and then try those options.

I did a test and imported some messages from an old "Mail" folder (full of
weird filenames like "1178094030.4915.8tr3y:2,S" in sub-folders. They are all
in MIME format and can be mostly read with 'cat' or 'less' on the
command-line too.

You don't have to go to any special trouble to export your messages from
kmail - they are stored in $HOME/Mail and in that same common mime format.

If you want to back them up, then simply copy that folder to some other place.

hth
/d