KDE startup and wifi initialization under Feisty

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Mar 31 14:48:11 UTC 2007

Larry Hartman <larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net> writes:
> On Friday 30 March 2007 09:16:52 pm Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> writes:

>> > You have to change the order of the initialization of the scripts.
>>
>> No: the problem isn't the standard init scripts -- the problem is that
>> NetworkManager waits for a GUI client to instruct it to connect before
>> attaching to the network.
>>
>> That application, KNetworkManager, runs concurrent with the other
>> applications at session startup -- and consequently the network isn't
>> ready when the applications are.

[...]

> Messing about on the internet and come across another avenue.....would
> KDE autostart bring it up more quickly?

Maybe, but I don't know.  I don't actually use much of the session
persistence stuff myself so I have not had to solve the problem.

Give it a try: it can't do much harm.

> BTW, I appreciate this answer as it helps explain things more
> clearly.....didnt have this issue on Dapper and Edgy though.

Did you use NetworkManager with them?  Traditionally the network, wired
or wireless, was brought up by an init script long, long before the GUI
even let you log in.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/