DBMS's

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 19 19:13:30 UTC 2007

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> After banging my head for three days I could not get MySQL to join two
> tables properly (it misses every other row on the second table).

Odd - I've never had a problem.  Are you absolutely sure that the tables
have common values in the join column?  I've seen situations where a
conversion from MS Access to MySQL didn't work easily, because Access
blithely ignored case differences and leading/trailing spaces (not in
joins, but in SELECT statements, in my case, but you get the point...).

That makes it Access's problem, not MySQL's.

> Lastly, I decided to install Postgresql.  The list of software for this
> system is mindboggling and seemingly impossible to figure which files one
> needs to install.

Then you're doing it the wrong way:

# aptitude install postgresql postgresql-client

will get you the server, the client, and all the support software.  This is
a debian-based OS - you never need to worry about dependencies.

> My question is: is it better to try and resolve the MySQL join problem or
> find some instructions/procedures to complete the Postgresql installation?

Overall, I consider postgre to be superior, but either one should work.
--
derek