Kubuntu vs .Ubuntu

Kevin B. O'Brien zwilnik at zwilnik.com
Fri Mar 9 00:01:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 11:51 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Saturday 03 March 2007 19:01, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > Would changing the desktop from
> > Gnome to KDE on an Ubuntu installation be identical to Kubuntu, or are
> > there other differences I should watch out for?
>
> Not quite, but pretty much so.  An Ubuntu system converted to a Kubuntu system
> via 'apt-get install kubuntu-desktop' still retains a lot of gnome stuff that
> would not be installed with a fresh kubuntu install.  This might be good or
> bad depending on disk space requirements and the tools you want.
>
> For instance, I use the apt-get for installs and updates, but gnome-based
> synaptic for searches.  I find synaptic much better than adept.  I also
> prefer the gnome-based easyTag to kid3.  You can run gnome apps under KDE if
> you have the gnome/gtk libs installed.

I do run some Gnome apps, particularly Evolution, which I rather like.
Disk space is not an issue on a desktop, since I tend to buy large
honking drives, usually in pairs. But you answered my major question,
which is that there are differences between the two types of install.

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
zwilnik at zwilnik.com Linux User #333216