Sifting through files to find/list word/phrase occurrences

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:03:04 UTC 2007

Hi!
Beagle is a Desktop Search Tool, simillar to Google Desktop Search or MS
Desktop Search, just Open Source ;-)

You can index your harddisk (or parts of it) and it searches them. IIRC
Beagle supports many filetyps to be searched (OO.org, MS Office...) and it's
in the KUbuntu Repos (I think....)

Cheers

Philipp Bieber

On 3/7/07, john d. herron <paradox.herron at bluewin.ch> wrote:

>  I'm rather ignorant, alas!
> Could you explain what Kerry/Beagle is and how it works, or where I can
> read up on it?
> jdh
>
> Thomas Olsen wrote:
>
> Doesn't Kerry/Beagle do that?
>
>  On Tue 6 March 2007 16:49, john d. herron wrote:
>
>  Hi, all.
> When I use KFind's "Containing text" option to locate files other than
> plain text (e.g. files written in OOWriter but saved as MS .doc) that
> contain a certain word or phrase, I invariably come up emptyhanded even
> though I know for a fact that there are matches it should find.
> Is this a built-in limitation or am I simply being overly optimistic, or
> obviously doing something wrong?
> If so, are there any other methods that could provide the results I am
> looking for?
> Any help will be thankfully appreciated.
> jdh

"We need a president who's fluent in at least one language."
-- Buck Henry