Kubuntu - AMD 64 bit installation newbness

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Mar 3 17:15:54 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 March 2007 6:44 pm, Donn wrote:
> about cost, so that helped. Anyway, the thing: It's an AMD Athlon 64bit
> CPU (X2) and I have no idea how to .. well anything with 64 bit.

For an X2, you want an SMP-enabled kernel.  I'm not sure what Ubuntu calls
these things.  I threw Dapper and maybe Edgy on a dual core laptop, and only
one CPU was running out of the box, with the installed kernel.  (That laptop
had a Pentium CoreDuo something or other in it.  I've never played with an
Am64-X2, but I assume it's the same in SMP terms, with the usual caveat about
what happens when you assume something.)

> 1. Can I boot off my previous machine's hard drive? It had Kubu Dapper
> i386 installed (assuming my drives didn't go bang too ...) Will the i386
> version run just like that? Do I have to do some BIOS footwork?

Just boot it and run, with the above caveat about only using one core on your
CPU with your existing kernel.  (Probably.)

I've had an Am64 (not dual core, just a piddly single) for some time now.
Over a year I guess.  I never have bothered to install 64-bit anything on it,
or learn anything about 64-bit anything.

Sorry, I guess I'm just not ambitious anymore.  The stock standard i386 stuff
runs perfectly fine on this machine.  I can compile Rosegarden from scratch
in under 8 minutes.  I'm happy.  Why worry?
--
D. Michael McIntyre