Looking for other OEM's that Pre-install Kubuntu

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:08:37 BST 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007 04:11:43 pm Greg Booth wrote:
> The other thing that's NOT in bold is that there's NO software support for
> this.
>
> Only hardware support.
>
> I'm not sure if this means operating system or installed software only.
>
> Greg
>
> On 6/27/07, Chris <kubuntu at eportel.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 22:36 +0500, Farid Ansari wrote:
> > > Hi Chris,
> > > I do not know much about your problems but wanted to tell you that I
> > > read today in the PC World of July 2007 that Dell will their PCs with
> > > Kubuntu 7.04 preinstalled.
> > > Cheers,
> > > Farid
> > > Karachi, Pakistan
> > >

> > > On 6/27/07, Chris <kubuntu at eportel.com> wrote:
> > >         Hello all,
> > >         I am new to Linux (although I worked with Suse for 9
> > >         months...I still
> > >         feel rather lost) but trying to learn as much as possible in
> > >         the
> > >         shortest amount of time...I don't feel that successful so far.
> > >
> > >         I'm the owner of a small computer manufacturing and service
> > >         company.
> > >         I'm trying very very hard to offer  most model computers with
> > >         Kubuntu
> > >         preinstalled. However it has not been easy.  First, the
> > >         documentation
> > >         compared to Ubuntu is little.  I bought a book on Ubuntu and
> > >         it's pretty
> > >         good at explaining everything about Ubuntu...but none of the
> > >         Gnome
> > >         specific information applies directly to Kubuntu.  It's really
> > >         a major
> > >         waste of time translating nearly everything that is taught
> > >         about Gnome
> > >         (Ubuntu) and trying to find the equivalent of that application
> > >         in
> > >         Kubuntu.
> > >
> > >         Second, there are many questions of the best way to produce,
> > >         test and
> > >         sell PC's with Linux on them...I can't seem to learn enough
> > >         about Linux
> > >         (Kubuntu) fast enough...maybe if I knew more...some of these
> > >         question
> > >         would be answered by me....I hope. Sometimes I feel that some
> > >         of the
> > >         questions and problems that I run across never really get
> > >         resolve
> > >         completely....that is scary in a retail/OEM market where we
> > >         have to
> > >         solve customers support needs in a timely manor.
> > >

> > >         As an OEM I would like the Kubuntu PC to have the ability to
> > >         run very
> > >         well with the add on features that makes Kubuntu (and Linux in
> > >         general)
> > >         what it should be. I'm referring to things like Beryl Desktop
> > >         effects
> > >         and menus that make sense.  Most customers will be coming
> > >         straight from
> > >         MS Windows XP so there may be some minor mods and
> [...]

You can purchase support from Cannonical when you buy the PCs.  Its not that
expensive from what I've heard.  However, if you are running a business you
CAN'T buy a DELL with Ubuntu preloaded.

BTW:  KDE can be easily added to Ubuntu through synaptic, adept, or just plain
old apt-get.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.