UPDATE Compiz slower in Kubuntu than Unbuntu

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Thu Jun 21 05:03:12 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 22:22:41 Chris wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 23:13 -0400, Chris wrote:
> > Does any know why compiz in Kubuntu is slower than when it's ran on
> > Ubuntu?  I have the same packages loaded for it.  Clearly...as
> > usual...everything is designed to Gnome and not KDE.  The window manager
> > chages also so that you can't use KDE's vast window decorations...at
> > all.  None of them will take when using compiz.
> >
> > Anybody have any feedback or experiance with correcting this?
> >
> > The packages that are loaded are:
> >
> > 1.Compiz
> > 2.Compiz-core
> > 3.Compiz-kde (not sure why..it doesn't seem to matter)
> > 4.gnome-compiz-manger (this is for the control interface for it)
> >
> > Thanks everybody,
> > Chris
>
> I just discovered something very interesting.
> One of the things that I notice about it being slow was scrolling a
> webpage in Firefox. If you place the cursor on the scroll bar and drag
> it up and down it will hesitate and scroll jurkingly...not smoth..and
> delayed in terms of not following the mouse cursor.
> Howerever it doesn't do this at all when using Konqueror. It's fast and
> smooth.
> When using Firefox in Ubuntu...it's fast and smooth.  It's like pulling
> teeth to make Kunbuntu be a well rounded OS AND use the Compiz desktop
> effects.
> Does anybody have any idea why this happens with Kubuntu and not Ubuntu?
> Thanks
> Chris

If I recall correctly, compiz interfaces to KDE differently than it does with
GNOME.  I know most folks who try to do compositing with KDE tend to stick
with beryl.  The jerky scrolling bit sounds like that may support my argument
there.  I wonder if it may be a GTK-related thing.  You may want to hit up
the compiz mailing lists for this.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.