UPDATE Compiz slower in Kubuntu than Unbuntu

Chris kubuntu at eportel.com
Thu Jun 21 11:44:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 00:03 -0500, manchicken wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 June 2007 22:22:41 Chris wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 23:13 -0400, Chris wrote:
> > > Does any know why compiz in Kubuntu is slower than when it's ran on
> > > Ubuntu?  I have the same packages loaded for it.  Clearly...as
> > > usual...everything is designed to Gnome and not KDE.  The window manager
> > > chages also so that you can't use KDE's vast window decorations...at
> > > all.  None of them will take when using compiz.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any feedback or experiance with correcting this?
> > >
> > > The packages that are loaded are:
> > >
> > > 1.Compiz
> > > 2.Compiz-core
> > > 3.Compiz-kde (not sure why..it doesn't seem to matter)
> > > 4.gnome-compiz-manger (this is for the control interface for it)
> > >
> > > Thanks everybody,
> > > Chris
> >
> > I just discovered something very interesting.
> > One of the things that I notice about it being slow was scrolling a
> > webpage in Firefox. If you place the cursor on the scroll bar and drag
> > it up and down it will hesitate and scroll jurkingly...not smoth..and
> > delayed in terms of not following the mouse cursor.
> > Howerever it doesn't do this at all when using Konqueror. It's fast and
> > smooth.
> > When using Firefox in Ubuntu...it's fast and smooth.  It's like pulling
> > teeth to make Kunbuntu be a well rounded OS AND use the Compiz desktop
> > effects.
> > Does anybody have any idea why this happens with Kubuntu and not Ubuntu?
> > Thanks
> > Chris
>
> If I recall correctly, compiz interfaces to KDE differently than it does with
> GNOME.  I know most folks who try to do compositing with KDE tend to stick
> with beryl.  The jerky scrolling bit sounds like that may support my argument
> there.  I wonder if it may be a GTK-related thing.  You may want to hit up
> the compiz mailing lists for this.
>
> --
> ~ manchicken <><
> (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.
> 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Not a bad idea Manchicken.  Just for reference, This machine is going to
be our production machine and has exactly the same specs as Dell's new
"n" series computer that come with Unbuntu.  Which is Intel 965G/p
chipset, a dual core P4 CPU and a GB of RAM...so we know resorces isn't
the problem.

Do you know what everybody is doing (what packages is needed) for Beryl?
Thanks,

Chris