burning CDs

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Wed Jun 20 01:06:05 UTC 2007

http://flickr.com/photos/arborvitian/sets/72157600215635649/

> I have put together a bunch of his favorite songs and a
> reading I had done. I would like to burn them to a CD so that he could play
> them on his CD player in his truck. However every time I try to burn a CD
> it will work on my computer but NOT in a CD player. How do I use K3B to
> write to a format that a typical CD player will recognize? And would it be
> okay to use CD-RW to burn them so I can change the playlist at times.

Two things come to mind.  First is burning a data CD instead of an audio CD,
second is using a CD-RW instead of a CD-R.  Both of these have already been
covered, but I have first-hand knowledge of playing CDs in a truck, so I
thought I'd chime in anyway.

Did the CD player come with his truck, or is it an aftermarket add-on?  I've
never actually driven a truck that was born with a CD player, so I've always
had aftermarket add-ons.  The first couple would not play CD-RWs at all.
They didn't recognize them as anything, and just kicked them out with an
error code.  The most recent one (purchased in the last couple of years) will
play CD-RWs and even data CDs, and it will even play data CDs full of MP3
files.

You probably need to burn CD-Rs to solve the current problem.  Forcing them to
burn at the slowest speed possible (1X, 2X, 4X, as slow as it will go)
improves the chances that they will play well in the extremely hostile
environment that is the inside of a truck

If your nephew is in a position to upgrade his gear, he might do well to buy
one of these newer players.  Swapping CDs gets old fast.  The longest of them
only go for 80 minutes, and then you have to listen to the same tracks again,
or go rooting around for another one in the middle of 5:00 traffic.  I don't
like lossy compression, and I can definitely hear the difference between CD
quality and MP3 files sitting here in my den, but with the whine of the
turbo, the bass thrum of the big diesel engine, the wind noise, the tire
noise, the chassis noise, you'll never notice the difference in a truck cab.
You can pack a lot of MP3s onto a CD-R or CD-RW.  I think I got most of my
Pink Floyd boxed set on one single disc that way.

Highly recommended, although not mandatory, and certainly not worth getting
him in trouble if he's a company driver, and is not allowed to make such
modifications to the equipment.

--
D. Michael McIntyre