Linux databases

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 17 11:56:21 UTC 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 05:40:30 am Knapp wrote:
> Did you take a look at open office? Also if you are up to it you can use
> PostGreSQL. There are some gui's for that too. I have to say that I do miss
> the ease of Access though.
> Douglas
>
> On 6/15/07, Alexander Smirnov <smirnoff at mail.nnov.ru> wrote:
> > On Monday 11 June 2007, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > > In the old days using Windows I used to create databases for small
> > > companies, usually using Borland Paradox. This program worked very well
> > > for me. When I moved over to Linux some 6 years ago the one thing that
> > > was missing for me was the equivalent to Paradox (or even Access).
> > >
> > > I have looked around a bit recently, and the situation seems to be a
> > > little better. At the moment I am looking at Kexi, but that is still at
> > > an early stage of development.
> > >
> > > Does anyone out there have any recommendations or comments? For the
> > > moment I could do with a simple flat-file database which gives me some
> > > good facilities to control the output for printing. Relational
> > > databases can come later.
> >
> > have a look at http://www.sqlite.org/
> > More and more linux applications using it.
> >
> > --

I have been following this thread with great interest.....this past week I
learned how to get LAMP server running with MediaWIKI on my computer.  This
morning I learned how to connect OpenOffice 2.2 Base via JDBC to a new
database I created in MySQL.

Things are just rolling right along for me.  One day it'll all come crashing
down--feel it in my bones.  I can't help but think of the brain power that
went into the thousands/millions of lines of code that made this possible and
be just a little awed.....

Larry