KDE & Network questions

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Mon Jun 11 18:29:18 UTC 2007

Hi! - From a returning (but very "newby" Linux user)

After doing an install and set-up of Vista for a friend it finally
caused me to look at Linux again after a few years. I had been reading
the good reports that UBUNTU was getting so decided to give it a try.
What a difference a few years makes, I'm VERY impressed with what I see!!!
So I've set up two computers through a KVM switch to run my Windows XP
and Ubuntu 7.04 and to migrate everything over to the Linux system.
However I have a few questions.....

1) What advice can you give me on Gnome Vs KDE? Which is best - or is
this a stupid question?
2) With my limited info it seems as if KDE is the GUI of choice so I
decided to try it. The Web site tells me to select
Applications>Add/Remove>Advanced and to select KDE Data Base. BUT I
cannot find and 'Advanced' option or any mention of 'KDE Data Base'.
Some help here would be appreciated
3) I use the Windows Contact Manager 'Maximizer' and must have a Linux
equiv. What can you recommend. I've looked at Kontact and like it but
there seems to be no way of storing eMails and letters under each
persons name? (Must have this!!)
4) I cannot get the Linux machine to 'read' my Windows Network. It goes
as far as the MSHOME network name and then reports nothing to display.
I'm sure I've omitted something - can you advise. (BTW by data is in a
FAT 32 partition on the Windows machine!!)
5) Also cannot get access to the laser printer on the Windows machine
but I'm sure this is related to the above question.

Thanks for any help I'm looking forward to getting away from M$
completely!!!

Ian Whitfield
Pretoria
South Africa.