Linux databases

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Fri Jun 15 13:40:51 UTC 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 07:46:39 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:52:15 -0700
>
> Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name> wrote:
> > I will ditto the MySql choice. It is not all THAT big and offers
> > portability, scalability and reliability with a huge pool of support.
> >
> >snip
> > The second is knoda. It has a more MS Access flavor and I like it real
> > well. I have not used it extensively, though so your millage may vary.
> > It is Linux only but I think, if I read your post correctly, that is
> > what you are looking for anyway.
>
> I have installed knoda and have been using it for a while now. It is a
> very good front end for several databases, although I have tried mysql
> only. Thanks for the suggestion, I think that I will stick with knoda
> and concentrate on learning how to use it well.
>
> Neil Winchurst

I find that postgres with OOo Base works quite nicely.  I believe knoda works
well with postgres as well.  I prefer PostgreSQL to MySQL for pretty much
everything.  It's a more fully featured database with stored procedure
support in various language including PL/pgSQL which is similar to PL/SQL.
PostgreSQL also supports multiple schemas which can interact with one
another.

MySQL works too, I just suppose I've got more love for PostgreSQL :)

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.