Bruce Marshall < bmarsh at bmarsh.com >

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 5 15:00:16 UTC 2007

Greg Booth wrote:

>> 1. Get the facts about sudo.
>
> That's why I was asking this question.
> As for the security of the system if you have sudo you only have to have
> any users account password to be able to access root authority.

see above :-)  That's simply wrong.  If you use sudo, as initially set up by
ubuntu, you need to have the _first_ user's password to be able to get root
access.  _No_ other user you create has sudo access unless you yourself add
them to /etc/sudoers.

So a hacker needs to know who the first user on the system is before he can
have a username that has full sudo access.
--
derek