USB flash memory

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:49:56 UTC 2007

On 7/31/07, Neil Winchurst <neil at holsdev.vispa.com> wrote:
> I have never tried using any flash memory sticks or such like. Does
> anyone have any comments, warnings, advice etc please?
>
> (Kubuntu Edgy, if that is useful).
>
> Neil Winchurst

Neil,

If you are thinking about compatibility -- I have found that most USB
flash drives don't run into compatibility issues.  If you want to
check and make sure it is known to work before you buy one, check
here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php/cat/197

And as Greg and James pointed out, make sure that you right click and
choose "Safely Remove" before you take it out.  Also, you will lose
any changes that you made because linux doesn't sync the changes until
you tell it to unmount the drive.

I say go for it -- flash drives are pretty cheap.  Last time I checked
it was about 10 dollars per gig.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2