Strange entries in xsession-errors

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Jul 28 10:03:53 UTC 2007

Mark Fraser <kde at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> writes:

> Just taken a look in my .xsession-errors file and I noticed some odd entries
> such as:
>
> /usr/bin/xmodmap:  unable to open file '/home/mfraser.Xmodmap' for reading
> /usr/bin/xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

[...]

> Any ideas what these errors mean? My main concern is the Xmodmap
> error.

xmodmap is an older tool for changing the binding between keys on your
physical keyboard and their meaning to X -- such as making the 'Caps
Lock' key act like 'Control' or changing the keyboard layout to dvorak
in software.

The specific error there is that something is instructing xmodmap to
read the "standard" set of per-user keyboard maps but, since the file
doesn't exist xmodmap complains.

You can safely ignore this message.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/