Automatix

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Jul 25 01:11:22 UTC 2007

Neil Winchurst <neil at holsdev.vispa.com> writes:

> My thread about 32 bit v 64 bit versions of kubuntu brought forth some
> interesting and varied replies. I think that I may give it a go when I
> get the DVDs.
>
> Meanwhile, the topic of automatix has come up several times in the
> thread. Dare I ask for comments about that?

Sure.  Automatix is a tool that automatically installs various non-free
components to your system without user intervention.

Using it is considered to be a bad idea by the core Ubuntu developers,
who recommend the detailed instructions found in the community
documentation here:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

That covers all current (and future) versions of Ubuntu, includes
detailed instructions on how to safely install these features and is
generally well maintained and easy to use.

You would be well advised, in general, to use those instructions in
preference to Automatix, I believe.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/