key board stuck

Macario Valle macariov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:52:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 13:21 -0500, Greg Booth wrote:
> > on restarting the system i am having a tough time
> > typing in the kde (kubuntu). is there any key board settings or a way to
> > solve this.
> > i can easily type on the login screen and outside the kde.
> >
> > plz help.
> > >
> > > -avanti
> > >

> Any chance we can get a little bit more detail ? What applications are
> you having trouble typing into since KDE is the environment not the
> applications? What does it do ? Do the letters not show up ? Do you
> get gibberish ?  Have you tried attaching an external keyboard and try
> typing with that since it's a laptop ? What version of Kubuntu are you
> using ?
>
> Greg

Try login in on text only mode.  If the problem still persists, there
might be something wrong hardware related.  It could be anything from
the connector to some part on the keyboard.

The driver is xserver-xorg-input-kbd, i would go ahead and force a
reinstall, that way any damaged file will be replaced.
I would also run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and accept all
default parameters so that any damaged config file gets rewritten.
The go back to X gui.

If it is hardware, then either have it repaired of use an external one.
If there is no connector for an external ps2 keboard, as in my old cheap
laptop, you can always use a usb one.
Now i know I have not written a step by step procedure but I trust you
can find out the right commands in this group or just google for
knowledge.

Macario valle