mem sticks: how to force sync mounts?

Chris Gow sniffy at rogers.com
Wed Jul 18 14:49:56 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 10:01:42 Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > There's a kicker applet too.
>
> out of the box or 3rd party? the ootb applet wastes an awful lot of space
> and lacks config options. well, maybe a good read to start with.
The one I use is the Storage Media applet. IIRC its out of the box, I don't
recall going anywhere to install any applets. I'm not sure what you mean by
wastes a lot of space though. Do you mean screen space or CPU/RAM? If its the
former I can sort of see that if you have a number of external devices
plugged in at the same time, I have had at most 3 all at the same time. I
haven't noticed any serious CPU/RAM usage.

I should also mention that the way I have my desktop configured: I have two
panels, one running on the bottom and one on the top. The top panel is
configured to have a display size of 'small' and contains among other things,
the Storage Media applet. Perhaps that, along with the few external storage
devices I use concurrently explains why I don't see a large usage of space.

> > I also have disabled desktop icons and
>
> oh, and: how do I disable desktop icons? Guess they only draw cpu/ram.
Here's what I did. Right click on the desktop, select Configure Desktop,
select Behavior on the general tab I unselected Show icons on desktop.
There's a suboption called Allow programs in desktop window which I also have
unselected.

hth

-- chris