gtk2 fonts: still ugly

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Tue Jul 10 18:09:33 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 15:17:50 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > So I set KDE to use the same font for gtk2 as for KDE. Namely that's
> > DejaVu Sans 9. I got a 19" CRT and forced KDE via kcontrol to assume 96
> > DPI. Still while the fonts look *similar*, they don't match. I suspect a
> > hinting thing.
>
> Why are you forcing 96DPI?  It's my understanding that letting X calculate
> the DPI will get you better fonts.
> --
> derek

Actually most fonts are optimized to work best at 96 DPI. Microsoft came up
with this first in IE and now mot font makers follow that.
Back on topic: how do I check what dpi settings and hinting gtk2 uses?
If I remember correctly Gnome was the first project to adapt to that
96-dpi-by-default behaviour.

Dex

--

http://www.stop1984.com