Can't connect with wifi or modem

Macario Valle macariov at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 01:56:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 17:05 -0700, Edward Meeker wrote:
> I am using an Avertec laptop and when I try to connect the wifi it
> finds the connection but when activating it it stalls at 28% and then
> shuts off after a couple of minutes.
> I also cannot use the internal modem, a motorola sm56.
> If any are kind enough to help, please note that because of these
> factors I cannot connect with kubuntu to the internet.

I have had this problem before.  So, I added the wireless network
manually:
on the Gui go to <System Settings>-<Network Settings> Changed th
Administrator mode by clicking the option at the bottom of the resulting
screen.
Click on the network interface to highlight then click on <properties>
Add the network essid in the provided field, Choose the password type,
if any, then enter the password if needed.  Press <OK>, Press <Close>.
During this process the network should come to connect successfully.

If that does not work, you will have to configure it manually.  Let's
hope that is not neccesary, but it is not that hard really.

-take note of the interface name.
-On a terminal session:
	cd /etc/network
	sudo vi interfaces
-If the network interface is not listed there add it.  for example if
your network interface name is eth1 then enter:

	iface eth1 inet dhcp
	wireless-essid 14622FamiliaValle
	auto eth1
-then save by pressing <esc> and typing ':wq!'

to restart your network you either reboot, not cool, or restart your
network like so:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

You should be all set then.  Good luck!

--