HELP! No X on startup

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 15:02:13 UTC 2007

On 7/4/07, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I'm no closer to answering the puzzle (and I suppose I never will
> answer it now :-( ) but installing the current nvidia driver seems to have
> worked.
>
> Now to go get some sleep.
>
> Thanks for encouraging me to go ahead and install the driver. I'm always
> paranoid about doing that sort of thing, that I'll just make things worse
> than they already are.

I'm glad to hear that your problem was fixed.  Is it possible that you
changed some setting a while ago, forgot about it, and then when you
restarted the problem showed up?  A lot of people running GNU/Linux
keep their computer running for long periods of time and it is easy to
forget what changes to the system have been made between restarts.  I
know that sometimes graphics drivers can break when the kernel is
updated, but I think that you are required to immediately restart the
computer after it is updated.  Perhaps it will be an eternal mystery.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2