apt-get update and upgrade problem

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Wed Jul 4 20:08:05 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007, federico silva wrote:
> Sorry for the morose mood but wrong is wrong.

I've never had anything like this happen with K/Ubuntu, which is one of the
reasons I switched.  I used to run Debian Sid, and I ran into trouble like
this quite often.  Every dist-upgrade was a crap shoot, and I had to go dig
around in /var to hack things by hand a few times.  (Which was still at least
twelve orders of magnitude better than trying to upgrade any RPM-based distro
I ever played with.  Bleck.)

That's probably what you need to do now, or else suck it up and do a clean
install.

I would be inclined to blame all your weird third-party apt sources.  I've
never seen trouble like this on Ubuntu, just using official Ubuntu
repositories.  (Of course I ran Dapper for the longest time too, so maybe I
missed out on some fun.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre