HELP! No X on startup

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 12:25:50 UTC 2007

On 04/07/07, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1. Reinstalling the nvidia driver, using apt-get or synaptic.
> > and/or
>

> One has to use the nvidia software for reinstalling; the nvidia driver
> shipped with 64-bit dapper is essentially hopeless (at least it is here).
>
> The huge puzzle to me is why this is all suddenly broken.

Well, I'm no closer to answering the puzzle (and I suppose I never will
answer it now :-( ) but installing the current nvidia driver seems to have
worked.

Now to go get some sleep.

Thanks for encouraging me to go ahead and install the driver. I'm always
paranoid about doing that sort of thing, that I'll just make things worse
than they already are.