HELP! No X on startup

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:14:36 BST 2007

On 04/07/07, Peter Lewis <prlewis at letterboxes.org> wrote:

> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.
> If
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
> FATAL: Could not open
> '/lib/modules/2.6.15-28-amd64-generic/volatile/nvidia.ko': No such file or
> directory
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
>
> It can't find a module called nvidia.ko. Does the file it's pointing to
> exist?

Nope, at least not there. there is an nvidia.ko in
/lib/modules/2.6.15-28-amd64

> -generic/kernel/drivers/video

I think that the "volatile" directory has something to do with modules that
have been loaded successfully loaded.

I've never used nvidia drivers, so not sure about exactly what different
> modules are required. Perhaps someone else on the list does.
>
> So, as it suggests, you could try:
>
> 1. Reinstalling the nvidia driver, using apt-get or synaptic.
> and/or

One has to use the nvidia software for reinstalling; the nvidia driver
shipped with 64-bit dapper is essentially hopeless (at least it is here).

The huge puzzle to me is why this is all suddenly broken.

2. runnning 'dpkg-configure xserver-xorg' and answering the questions there.

dpkg-configure doesn't exist on the system

I guess I'll try installing the latest nvidia driver, although one feels
like something really strange and worrying must have happened to have broken
something that has been working for so long, and it's not obvious that
installing a new driver will fix it. But I guess I'll try it anyway, and
report back here.