spell

adams k7qo at commspeed.net
Tue Jul 3 20:43:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:35 -0500, Greg Booth wrote:

> Spell seems to be in the repositories ?
>
> apt-cache search spell | grep -w spell shows
>
> spell - GNU Spell, a clone of Unix `spell'
>
> and apt-cache show spell shows

>  GNU Spell is a spell checking program which prints each misspelled word on a
>  line of its own. It is designed as a clone of the standard Unix `spell'
>  program, and implemented as a wrapper for Ispell. Spell accepts as its
>  arguments a list of files to read from. Within that list, the magical file name
>  `-' causes Spell to read from standard input. In addition, when called with no
>  file name arguments, Spell assumes that it should process standard input.
> Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Origin: Ubuntu
>
> A quick install later I try spell <filename> and sure enough it spits
> out the names of some of my friends in a list I had in my home
> directory that wouldn't show up in a dictionary...
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Greg Booth

See Greg.  I told you that I wasn't the smartest guy on the block and
you easily proved.  I could have sworn that I did a "sudo apt-get
install spell" a few days ago and it came back with a not/found message.

I just tried it and it worked.  Go figure.

My whole hearty thanks.  And I apologize for the down and out attitude
that I demonstrated.  I love Linux with all my heart and sole and will
use it til the day they take my cold dead hands off the keyboard.

ciao dude,

Chuck Adams, K7QO   k7qo at commspeed.net
http://www.k7qo.net/   personal web page

Moving to Arizona?  Bring your own water.