spell

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:44:10 UTC 2007

there's an anachronism on pg 27 (pg 21 document's numbering) when
viewed with Adobe Reader on Windows XP.  The blue line extends upwards
into the paragraph (quite odd to see the graphic and the text
overlapping.)

On 7/3/07, Greg Booth <bootgr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/3/07, adams <k7qo at commspeed.net> wrote:
> >
> > I must be getting too old for Unix and Linux.
> >
> > I have been creating a document
> >
> > http://www.commspeed.net/k7qo/NECpart1.pdf
> >

> > Now I defy any one to create this using OpenOffice Writer.
> > Can't be done.  You have to use LaTeX.  Period.  QED.
> >
> > One of things that I got around to doing was spell checking
> > the document.  My first pass was to use "spell".  Not installed
> > and not available.  Sorry to see it gone after all these  years.
> >
> > You could "spell filename" and get only the words that did not
> > match words in /usr/share/dict/words.  Then I could sed or vi
> > the control words out and have just the words that weren't found.
> >
> > OK.  apropos spell  and find "ispell",so  "ispell filename" and
> > I get back
> >
> > Can't open /usr/lib/ispell/default.hash
> >

> > Easy fix?  An error in the distro?  Would a newbee know how to fix
> > this?  I don't, but than again I'm not the smartest guy on the block.
> > :-)
> >
> > So, what I did do was "abiword filename" and thanks to Richard
> > Brodie's idea of the squiggly red underline for bad words, I
> > was able to muddle through and get the words eliminated that
> > were not spelled correctly.
> >
> > Can I get spell back?  Please.  Pretty please.  Do I have to
> > write it from scratch?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.  I'm still thinking that GUI's are not the
> > way to go.......  At least don't kill me off by killing off
> > the tools that I use or need.
> >
> > FYI
> >
> > Chuck Adams, PhD, retired rocket scientist
>
> Spell seems to be in the repositories ?
>
> apt-cache search spell | grep -w spell shows
>
> spell - GNU Spell, a clone of Unix `spell'
>
> and apt-cache show spell shows

>  GNU Spell is a spell checking program which prints each misspelled word on a
>  line of its own. It is designed as a clone of the standard Unix `spell'
>  program, and implemented as a wrapper for Ispell. Spell accepts as its
>  arguments a list of files to read from. Within that list, the magical file name
>  `-' causes Spell to read from standard input. In addition, when called with no
>  file name arguments, Spell assumes that it should process standard input.
> Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Origin: Ubuntu
>
> A quick install later I try spell <filename> and sure enough it spits
> out the names of some of my friends in a list I had in my home
> directory that wouldn't show up in a dictionary...
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Greg Booth

Do you know Java?  Want to build a video game?  Don't want to lead the
project yourself?  Want to work on mine with me?  Then contact me -
there's plenty of fun work to be done, and not enough me to do it :)