KDE 3.5.6 released w Kubuntu packages

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 30 17:30:34 UTC 2007

Jon Grant wrote:

> I've not seen any suggestion to only include someone in the reply to
> their email if they request it. Typically the sender will be in the To:
> field, and the list will be in the CC: field,

This isn't typical at all.  Smart mail clients respond to the List-Post
header.  Otherwise, the "From" or "Reply-to" header is in the TO, and CCs
are in the CC.  afaict, nothing is actually "typical".

> but it's apparent Ubuntu
> mailinglist has been incorrectly configured to set Reply-To, which

I don't think so, but I'm not reading via the list.

> CC'ing doesn't bypass any of my filters, perhaps you need to check your
> configuration. e.g. Thunderbird calls the filter option "To or CC"

Not my situation at all, thanks.  As I said, I get it via gmane news.
However, again, smart mail clients filter on the List headers - in which
case "to or CC" would be missed.  Of course I DON'T want list posts
filtered via To or CC, as I specifically want stuff posted TO me in my
inbox.

>>> The
>>> only problem I can see is that Ubuntu have set the Reply-To field to the
>>> mailing-list address.
>>
>> How about for all of us who get the list via gmane, thank you?  If I
>> wanted to receive emails of all these posts, I'd use the list interface.
>
> You'd need to speak to the people who maintain your mail2news gateway.

No, I don't.  You're missing the point.  Many of us using the Ubuntu lists
read them via gmane.  If we wanted mail, we'd subscribe to the list.
There's nothing wrong with gmane's gateway, I JUST DON'T WANT TO BE CC'd on
everything.

> There are obvious workarounds for gmane not supporting what you want,

It's not gmane's problem, it's rude posters.

> like subscribing from a noreply at yourhost.com email address. Or simply

I don't want to prevent people talking to me, I just don't want you sending
me copies I'm obviously going to see anyway.  I have always made it a point
of using valid email addresses on news & lists and I don't plan to change
now.

> configure your client to delete any list email you receive if you never
> want it via that route. I'm not fond of workarounds like this myself,
> the issue should be tackled for all users who want the feature.

I'd rather try to educate users not to CC posters who are already going to
see the mail.  If, otoh, individuals like you and Donn insist on CC'ing me
when I politely ask you not to, I'll just filter those individuals.

As for tackling the issue for all users, just who should be doing that?
_My_ mail client already behaves properly - if I reply, it goes to the
list, if I reply-all it goes to the list and CCs the poster.  Yours,
apparently, misbehaves.
--
derek