[kubuntu-users] Re: KDE 3.5.6 released w Kubuntu packages

Juergen Sauer juergen.sauer at automatix.de
Mon Jan 29 08:23:16 UTC 2007

Am Sonntag, 28. Januar 2007 18:35 schrieb Scott Kitterman:

> If you go install Kubuntu Dapper you will get 3.5.2.  That is what's
> part of the official release.  To get a later KDE you had to go enable
> a special repository for it.

And KDE 3.5.x was released on kubuntu.org - from the origin kubuntu server
for dapper. This implies to me and others, it _is_ officially released and
part of kubuntu.

> I may, if I get time, download and build 3.5.6 for Dapper myself, but
> would strongly prefer it if Jonathan Riddell would do it.

I'd prefer is like the same way.
Building a Bugfix release is noa as easy as is looks to noobs.

> Personally, if I were in his shows I'd be inclined not to do this sort
> of thing in the future due to all the complaining it's engendered.
> Fortunately, I'm not and I hope he continues to provide this valuable
> service to the community.

I hope also.

The big problem behind is, that for many applications it is not possible
to "upgrade" to edgy, because edgy breaks a lot of important compability,
by dropping "linux-thread" support. i.E. "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1"
does not work anymore. This breaks support for SapDB, SAP /R3 and other
very important applications.

regards
J. Sauer
automatiX GmbH, proffessionell Linux Support

Jürgen Sauer - AutomatiX GmbH, +49-4209-4699, jojo at automatix.de
Das Linux Systemhaus - Service - Support - Server - Lösungen