[kubuntu-users] Re: KDE 3.5.6 released w Kubuntu packages

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Jan 27 20:39:36 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 1:00 pm, Donn wrote:

> This is part of the problem really -- Too many distros and too many
> sub-distros within each. IMHO each release of Ubuntu is a new distro -- one
> that gets "left behind" in time.

Yes, we have established that this is true a dozen times over.  That's the way
it is, and this is by design.  Ubuntu's latest stable snapshot is more recent
than Debian's, which is largely the point of Ubuntu.  People run Dapper for
stability, not for the latest versions of applications.  That's not what
Dapper is FOR.  If you want the latest versions of applications to come to
you as tidy distro packages, and you're running Dapper, then you're running
the WRONG DISTRO.

It's really that simple.  Feathers are starting to get ruffled because you are
being so irritatingly obtuse here.  You're obtuse, but not coming off as a
hopeless moron, which is probably why anyone is still bothering to talk to
you at all.  We're trying to get things to click for you, so you understand
the way things are, and why, and accept them, and move on to become a
productive member of society.  There is hope for you, Grasshopper.

Linux is fundamentally different from Windows.  This bit with getting the very
latest software being a problem is one of the bitchy things about Linux.  In
contrast, moving a Linux hard drive from one computer to a completely
different one is orders of magnitude less tedious and time consuming than the
same trick on Windows.

Linux has ups and downs.  Windows has ups and downs.  Widows isn't Linux isn't
Windows.

> Hopefully it's such a blatant problem that teams of very experienced,
> organized and cabable people (like the good people who *already* bring us
> Ubuntu) can see it and start to think along those lines.

And that is really the crux of this whole thing.  There is no "problem" here
at all, except that you are hell bent on using a screwdriver to drive a nail.

Sorry if I'm losing my patience.  I'm stressed out right now, and my wife is
nagging me, so I'm trying to write in a hurry.
--
D. Michael McIntyre