HPLIP checkinstal vs makeinstall was,Re: Firefox 2 on Dapper

Bry Paula Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Wed Jan 17 15:41:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 09:33 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 04:18, Bry Paula Melvin wrote:
> >  It works
> > with the make install but if I use checkinstall it breaks and breaks
> > gutenprint too!
>
> I thought checkinstall just called 'make install', rather than trying to
> reinvent that wheel.  Am I wrong?

ah yes but here's what  happens I have other printing libraries foomatic
gimprint gets installed as part of Ubuntu/Kubuntu. the checkinstall
makes fine but fails to install the debian saying it can't overwrite
some foomatic files.

If I remove the offending files and checkinstall nothing works.??? It
somehow breaks (k)ubuntu printing entirely.
as using make install alone as per instructions IN HPILP for dapper
everything works. At least for my scanning printing cameras etc (which
are all hp)

segue point: I haven;t gotten the latest gutenprint to compile in 606
so printing from GIMP is still a total nuisance. (outdated drivers
incompatible with HP printers >= to the Gimp 1.2 era.
( anything hi res)