Fresh install from alternate CD

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:07:32 UTC 2007

> I know a fresh install from the Live CD will reformat my / partition, but
> is there a way to install the system from the alternate CD without messing
> up ~, /opt, and /usr/local which are on the same partition?
I know how you feel. I too dread upgrades. As of now, in 5 years of Linux, I
have never managed to upgrade from X to Y once without a lot of pain. In the
end I have decided to simply erase and rewind.

That said, perhaps rsync can be your friend. Keep home on another partition.
Copy /opt there. Copy /usr/local there too. Wipe and install anew, then rsync
those directories back. It *should* be able to insert only the files that are
*not* there now (i.e. the new install's files). After that you can make spot
changes to config files that did not copy across once you understand the new
formats (if they have changed at all).

Perhaps this will create new problems, but on the whole it should work.

HTH
/d