Q: howto for updating NVIDIA driver

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 15:13:45 UTC 2007

Edmund Laugasson said the following at 12/30/2006 05:16 PM :
>> So how *exactly* do I go about updating the video driver?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

I already have the old ones that this installs. That is why I asked for
precise details of how to update the driver.

More precisely:

1. I have the restricted packages enabled.
2. The version of the nvidia driver installed by those packages is 1.0-8776.
3. On the nvidia website, the current version of the driver is 1.0-9746.

So I want to know how to install the *real* latest version of the driver.

> Try also search using keyword "nvidia":
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=nvidia&titlesearch=Titles

"Latest Nvidia Dapper" looked hopeful... but when one reads it in detail,
one sees that it explicitly states which versions of the drivers the
various solutions work for... and 9746 is not included :-(

I am beginning to conclude that this is not something that can be done
easily and safely. So I shall have to live without Google Earth (much to
the amusement of my Windows friends).