Linux freezes randomly

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 20:57:48 UTC 2007

El Miércoles, 28 de Febrero de 2007, D. Michael McIntyre escribió:
> I don't like the look of those hda errors, and I don't trust that SMART
> thing.   I had a hard drive that kept passing the SMART test right up until
> the morning it died abruptly.

That's a interesting thing to know *thanks* for this useful bit of information

> OTOH, I've had bad luck with the proprietary ATI drivers, and that's an
> easy thing to try.  I'd switch from "fglrx" to "ati" and see if the trouble
> goes away.  If not, it could be the hard drive, or a bad cable connection,
> but it's probably a warranty issue on a laptop that new, and not something
> you want to fiddle with yourself.

I belive it doesn't have anything to do with the graphic driver. Before having
fglrx driver, I had ati and the same freezes happened. Also, in the case
where it freezes at the boot process (which is the most common), it happens
quite early in the process so I don't think it can be related to the graphic
card driver.

I also suspect it's a problem related to the HD. I'm dowloanding feasty and
I'll install it to see if it's a kernel related problem. If it's still
happening on feasty, I will finally install windows just to test.. if it
hangs also in Windows I will be more than happy to give the laptop to
Samsung's warranty services.

Thanks for your time,
           Edu.