Linux freezes randomly

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Wed Feb 28 20:36:02 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 1:34 pm, Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:

> freezes. This could be something related to ATI propietary driver though, I
> don't know.

> Feb 25 19:44:02 sinpalo kernel: [17179579.908000] hda: task_no_data_intr:
> status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

I don't like the look of those hda errors, and I don't trust that SMART thing.
I had a hard drive that kept passing the SMART test right up until the
morning it died abruptly.

OTOH, I've had bad luck with the proprietary ATI drivers, and that's an easy
thing to try.  I'd switch from "fglrx" to "ati" and see if the trouble goes
away.  If not, it could be the hard drive, or a bad cable connection, but
it's probably a warranty issue on a laptop that new, and not something you
want to fiddle with yourself.
--
D. Michael McIntyre