Sound Crackling after installing Nvidia Drivers

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 07:45:06 UTC 2007

On Saturday 24 February 2007 11:34:06 pm D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Saturday 24 February 2007 1:37 pm, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > Thanks for the tip, but no joy.  The only time it does that is when I
> > load up a 3D intensive game, like "SuperTux" or "Chromium".  Sometimes it
> > sounds like the battery is dying on an old Cassette player.
>
> I've seen another with exactly this problem.  I'm too tired to bother at
> the moment, and I don't quite remember the details.  There should be a
> thread on the rosegarden-user or rosegarden-devel mailing list detailing
> the plight of Richard Cooper, I think it was.  He eventually solved his
> problem by building a hardware synth out of junk.  There's a Youtube video
> showing the thing in action.  It was amazing, but I don't think he ever got
> Linux audio and the NVIDIA drivers to play nice with each other.  He
> probably wound up using the free driver with broken 3D support.
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Whew, I hope that's not the case.  However, it appears to be so.  The ONLY
time I have a hard time with this is when I'm playing a game.  I watched a
good section of a DVD movie, played some ogg files, etc. none of which had
the first glitch.  So, since I'm not THAT big on 3d games I guess I'll just
keep an eye out for newer kernels and Nvidia drivers.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.