Moving /home

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Feb 22 13:14:38 UTC 2007

Larry Hartman wrote:
> Thanx.  I think I understand all of this.  Some questions to vereify my
> understanding...
>
> So then if hdb1 is already mounted then all I need to do is copy the
> current /home/USR directory to hdb1 and then change path name in kuser to
> reflect the new location?

As he says, that could cause problems later.  Some programs might
(incorrectly) assume your home directory is /home/USR .  Instead, you
should either:

1. Mount the whole device as /home/ (which might not be workable for you).
2. Copy the /home/ directory to e.g. /hdb1/home/ , then execute:
mount --bind /hdb1/home /home

To make this permanent (i.e. automatic on boot), copy (while it's bound)
the relevant line from /etc/mtab into /etc/fstab .

Matthew Flaschen