New kernel and Nvidia confusion

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:00:43 UTC 2007

Hello all,
Believe it or not, this time my question is NOT about kmail :D

I use Blender and sundry GL apps and so I need my 3D nvidia to be working.

Here's my Inspector Clueso ;) sleuthing:

Current running kernel : Linux DDM 2.6.15-27-386

Current working nvidia :
scripts:$ apt-is-installed restricted
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-386          install
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-27-386          install
linux-restricted-modules-common                 install
(I'm not sure how to get the version number of the nvidia that's in use)
(apt-is-installed is a script I wrote)

Latest kernel made available for update : 2.6.15-28-386
(found by ls -cr /boot and taking the numbers out)
(I tried to find the .deb of the latest kernel upgrade, but the filename does
not clearly specify the version number, so it's confusing. It could be an old
deb)

So - It looks like the same old issue again: I got prompted to do a kernel
update, I did so. I have not been prompted to do an nvidia update (from those
unsupported repos, but I always forget what repos do what.)
The upshot is that my kernel (if I boot fresh) is 15-28 and my nvidia wants
15-27. Therefore I must boot via grub and choose the older kernel.

Is there something devastating simple that I am totally not getting?
Is it normal for the nvidia package to lag the kernel upgrades (seems so)?
If so, is there any way to inform the luser (me) about the situation and the
options?

Flame On! ;)

/d