Moving /home

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Feb 22 02:45:54 UTC 2007

Larry Hartman wrote:

> I like this answer  :-)  .....but more importantly to me, how do I get the
> home directory moved from its default location on hda1 /home/usrname to
> another default location, say hdb1 /home/usrname, or any other directory
> for that matter?

That's pretty easy.  There are two possibilities - in the first place
nothing says your home directory has to be in /home.  In fact, many userids
that exist for daemons are associated with home directories elsewhere.  So
you can set the directory in kuser.  Of course, that can cause nightmares
down the road :-)

So, assuming you want to keep it in /home, but just on a different device,
mount the new device anyware at all - say /new.  Copy /home/USER/*
to /new/.  Umount /new.  Remount the new device as /home/USER.:

sudo mkdir /tmp/new
sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /tmp/new
sudo cp -A /home/USER/* /tmp/new/
sudo umount /tmp/new
sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /home/USER

Scott wrote:

>> Or, from Konqueror, right click the particular folder, select properties,
>> change the group name, check the 'Apply changes to all subfolders...'
>> option and click OK.

Ah, but that was too easy (and not quite as nice as the chown method,
anyway, as it changes _everything_ not just the ones with the wrong group).
--
derek