intro and grub question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Feb 17 13:50:18 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Tim M wrote:
>>
>>> That worked! I didn't see the option to boot into Gnome.
>>
>> You don't _boot_ into gnome.  You boot into Ubuntu.  Then you _login_ to
>> Gnome or KDE.
>
> No, you load the Linux kernel, then a bunch of stuff, then X, then GDM,
> then KDE.  If you're going to be picky, you might as well do it right.

In the first place, I wasn't being picky - Tim was under the mistaken
impression that Gnome and KDE (specifically Ubuntu & Kubuntu) were
different OSes, and we were (apparently successfully) correcting that
misapprehension before he did something to completely frustrate his foray
into Linux.

In the second, while I greatly simplified the process I _did_ get it right,
so please keep your smart-ass comments to yourself.
--
derek