firefox and dapper after april on LTS

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 03:06:42 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 8:44:30 pm Bry Paula Melvin wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 18:04, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > Bry Paula Melvin <brymelvin at melvinart.com> writes:
> > > Looking toward the future I see Firefox1.5 will no longer be supported
> > > upstream as of April.
> > >
> > > For LTS users that will apparently leave Ubuntu without and Kubuntu
> > > with only konqueror supported for security updates (for a "free"
> > > browser: there is the Opera option)
> >
> > I think you are making a dangerous and incorrect assumption here:
>
> Not making any assumptions. logic and questioning:
> Once support is stopped (april) upstream security testers will begin to
> ignore it and thus even if ubuntu wanted to their maintenance might be
> ineffective because someone has to FIND flaws -preferably before they are
> exploited. As 606 is to be supported to 2009 this would seem to be long
> after security firms quit paying attention,
>
> > You are assuming that the Mozilla Foundation terminating support for
> > Firefox 1.5 will result in Ubuntu containing an unsupported browser.
> >

> > There are three other possibilities:
> >
> > One is that the Ubuntu and/or Canonical teams will take over maintenance
> > of release 1.5 of Firefox.
>
> may not be effective
>
> > One is that another, third party, team will take over maintenance.
>
> possible but unlikely,
>
> > The final option is that an update to the LTS release that includes a
> > newer (and supported) version of Firefox will be issued.
>
> ISTR previous comments on this subject  at which it was pointed out that
> you could use the targz from Mozilla ...true for pc Already have installed
> FF2 on the pcs.
> This might be something no one else has looked at yet.
>
> They want business and small business to use LTS...good...LTS is a good
> start for those that are not hobbiests, I'm looking at what I need to
> change in my small business over the next 60 days. Whether I need to ween
> people off firefox...or compile it and test it myself as there IS no ppc
> targz for 2.x.
>
> Or whether on ppc LTS I just take a chance on safety through obscurity,
>
> > In other words: I think you are worried that the sky will fall on your
> > head -- when, as with other things, that is pretty unlikely to actually
> > happen with the Ubuntu/Canonical team behind the LTS release.
>
> No No sky falling in...but just looking ahead. As a small business we have
> no intention of using anything but LTS versions,(so no edgy or fiesty) and
> as this is the first LTS there is no track record to look at. And planning
> ahead is usually adviseable. So is questioning things. I used to have a
> sign on my desk saying "Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute
> an emergency on our part."  Thus the questioning 6 weeks in advance. :-)
>
> I thought there is a possibility that someone on this list may be privy to
> the plans regarding this item as the issue becomes a factor in 6 weeks,
>

> If need be I'll do it from source myself,as I have for another item (hplip)
> [...]

I hope I'm not stepping out of line here, but why the insistence on 1.5?  I
don't quite understand why its 1.5 or nothing.  And, as far as the LTS is
concerned that's mainly for those with Contracts with Canonical I believe, so
maybe a call to them would reveal their plans and suggestions.  Is there
anything as far as a reaction / statement on their main page?

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.