Yet another kmail mystery

Bry Paula Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Wed Feb 14 16:32:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 07:37 -0600, Man-Chicken wrote:
> I've heard of a lot of folks having trouble with gmail, I figured that this
> was a gmail problem.  I haven't been able to reproduce this problem except
> when one of my mail hosts went down.
>
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 03:08:04 Donn wrote:
> > Hello again,
> > It seems most of my questions relate to kmail... This one might not be
> > kmail's fault at all. Here it is:
> > I have gmail pop setup in kmail so that I can manage things from kmail and
> > not via a browser. I also have another email addy with my ISP. When I
> > press "Check Mail In" (or when it does it every 10 minutes) it works most
> > of the time.
> > Sometimes the "gmail in" step will stop with the little progress bar (on
> > the bottom right) showing 100%. It will stay like this for hours.
> > Sometimes, when I'm busy, I won't notice this and a whole day goes past
> > with seemingly no email. When I go to kmail and cancel the "gmail in"
> > process (from the control at bottom right) and then press the "check mail
> > in" button it will suddenly see many messages and start fetching them. This
> > happens a lot overnight.
> >
> > None of this happens with the local pop ISP email address.
> >
> > What could be causing this infinite loop as kmail seemingly pauses
> > endlessly or cannot disconnect from gmail? And is there a way to force
> > kmail to cancel a "check in" if it does not finish after a few minutes?
> >

> > /d
>

> --
> ~ Man-Chicken <><
> (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.
> The number of the beast - vi vi vi

This just might not be a kmail problem. I have had the same thing happen
with yahoo business mail in both kmail on my ibook and evolution on my
office machine.

looking at errors it SEEMS to be a login problem

I have just disabled automatic checking in the clients and instead use
GAIM to notify me of new yahoo mail...I don't know if that would work
for gmail (plugin maybe?)  I use yahoo business mail and msn mail (a
paid for expanded version of hotmail).

Note that msn mail login is slow (http) but never seems to hang that way
and the hangs seem to only be pop not smtp.

Bryann