help

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Feb 14 11:32:33 UTC 2007

candcruth wrote:

> is there help out there for someone who knows nothing
> about kubuntu. i have used windows. i have loaded kubuntu 606lts on
> another computer. my son-in-law loaded
> it for me. i have managed to get on internst, but cannot
> get e-mail to work. i seem to have k-mail and kontact
> are they the same.
> thanks fredupwithmircosoft

Welcome!

Well done for getting onto the internet too.

kmail is the email part of Kontact - Kontact is an all singing and
dancing personal information manager (PIM) which integrates a lot of
things, including email (kmail).

Initially in kmail you may need to use
Settings>Configure Kmail

(note that although you are configuring kmail, the window is called
configure kontact - it is part of the suite)

For this configuration the areas are
identities
accounts
appearance
composer
security
misc

The important ones are identities and accounts, to get you started.
Identities>Add
candcruth
(then later, your email address)
(and set this as default)

Accounts>(receiving)>Add
pop3
(the host wil be something like popmail.cox.net - maybe - I am
guessing, ask your ISP)

Accounts>(sending)>add
(smtp)
(your isp account)
(host maybe like - smtpmail.cox.net - ask your ISP)

That is the basics. Hope it helps get you started. Linux is no
different to windows when setting up email stuff. Although the answers
you get to questions may include a lot more choice, and technical
information. Take it gently at first.

Good luck, keep in touch?
--
ac