Slightly OT: is free software development indirectly subsidized?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Sat Feb 3 18:50:39 UTC 2007

On a list for translators, I´ve initiated a discussion of open source
software in the industry.

One gentleman made the following comment, and I am unsure what truth
lies therein, nor how to respond.
His comment:

One question puzzles me: as far as I can tell, 'free software
development' is indirectly subsidized by the universities or software
companies that employ these developers during the day (so they can code
for 'free' at night....)  Without these supporting institutions, free
software would likely wither away, I think.  What do others think?

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
http://www.photodharma.com