Problems with Configure Panels -

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Dec 22 01:03:14 UTC 2007

On Friday 21 December 2007, DaveR wrote:
> Next step is to make some changes /etc/X11/xorg as suggested.  If that
> does not work then on to BIOS flashing - it is a test machine.

One thing that used to work well is to grab a KNOPPIX (or KNOPPIX-based) live
CD, boot that, and if the video worked, steal its xorg.conf or XF86Config-4
file (probably xorg.conf by now, surely.)

Come to think of it, that's exactly how I figured out my own weird 640x480
problem.

The thing about BIOS is a good thought too.  My computer before last or so had
a crappy on-board video deal that robbed main memory for video purposes, and
I had to increase the default limit in order to get the resolution I wanted
at the color depth I wanted.

640x480 seems like a real lowball target though for a default BIOS setup.
--
D. Michael McIntyre