Problems with Configure Panels -

DaveR daveroeser at tacjug.org
Fri Dec 21 22:32:20 UTC 2007

Stew Schneider wrote:
> I had a run with this. I fixed it, on a Dell Opteron, by dinking with
> the BIOS. There was a video or graphics setting that needed changing
> from 1 meg to 8 meg (?). The symptom was that no matter what I set the
> video to, it remained at 640x480..
> HTH
>
> stew

Thanks to all who have replied. The physicist-turned programmer-turned
manager just can't let this go. Here is an update and plan...I spoke
with a engineer at the company that designs components for VS monitors.
He does not think it is the physical device (nor do I) and he thinks the
video card is ok - Voodoo3 (Generic) - he also told me the company line
"our drivers are for the m$ platform". I thanked him for his time.

Same machine and monitor has successfully hosted WinNT4, W98SE, WinME
(gag), W2000 Pro, and SuSE 6 (maybe 7 - whatever last release was before
Novell bought them). No problem with setting resolution to 1024x768.

I have noticed I get ACPI: BIOS age (1997) fails cutoff (2000) .....but
that does not seem to affect the machine (that I can tell) -

Next step is to make some changes /etc/X11/xorg as suggested.  If that
does not work then on to BIOS flashing - it is a test machine.

Thanks,
Dave