laptop's attached screen resolution.

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 16:02:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 December 2007 07:02:29 am Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > I'm using a Toshiba ["satellite pro"?] laptop plugged into an LCD
> > monitor.  When I boot I see the Kubuntu logo plus the progress bar
> > in the middle of the screen.  Then the screen goes blank, and I get
> > the login screen.  Unlike on the laptop itself, this appears
> > stretched so that the boxes for the username and password are just
> > off the bottom of the screen, towards the right hand side.  This
        [...]
> Hmm . . . . Does sound familiar.  I have an older KVM where I have to adjust
> the monitor's screen settings when I flip from a Windoze box to my Linux box.
>
> Try plugging the monitor directly into the Laptop (bypass the KVM).
> Boot into Kubuntu and see what happens.
>
> Another issue may be that you have your laptop open, and the laptop screen is

The laptop screen is blank when the monitor is plugged in.

> the primary.   You may need to find the "Function" or modifier keystroke to
> make the external monitor the primary.   This will allow the external
> Monitor's resolution to rule the day.
>
> Once you plug the laptop into the monitor like that, try switching to a
> console session (by hitting [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F2] ) and logging in.

Did that, and was able to add the correct resolution to the xorg.conf
file, and all was well after a reboot.  [Probably a reboot wouldn't be
necessary, but it was The Simplest Thing That Could Possibly Work.]

> You could edit your xorg.conf file and manually add a resolution that should
> be supported by your monitor at that point.

  1024 x 768

  Now I have issues about the real mouse being intermittent.
        Thank you,
        Hugh