(New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Sound input "CR-CR-CR"

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Thu Dec 6 10:55:11 UTC 2007

Bas Roufs wrote:

> Dear Kubuntu mailing list members
>
> So far, everything on my laptop in combination with Kubuntu 7.10 runs
> quite smoothly. There is only one major problem I did not yet manage to
> solve so far: the sound INPUT. I have been experimenting with the
> 'K-Mixer' and the 'Master Channel'. When using the sound INPUT functions
> of this software, I hear a soft "CR-CR-CR" all the time. My main
> question is now: how can I use the sound input functions without being
> hampered by this CR-CR-CR sound?
> I have also some specific questions in this context.
> When going to K-Mixer and pressing at the 'INPUT' tab of this software,
> I see functions like LINE, MIC, PHONE, AUX and CAPTURE. What to do with
> the green dots above them? When I press one time on such a dot, it
> becomes dark green. When pressing another time, it becomes light green.
> I have the same question for the red buttons at the bottom. Such a red
> button becomes rosa when pressing 1 time and deep red when pressing
> another time.
> Which MASTER CHANNEL(S?) do I need to select?
> Is there any other measure you would recommend me to deal with the
> problem?
>
> A bit of background info may be useful to enable you to answer my
> question in this message.
>
> The sound OUTPUT functions of K-Mixer in the Kubuntu 7.10 distro deliver
> a good quality: I can listen to music, internet radio, MP3 files, etc.
> at a perfectly acceptable quality level: both via internal and external
> speakers. When running the laptop from the WinXP partition of the
> Harddisk, also the sound OUTPUT functions function well: by example via
> Skype. But when returning to the Kubuntu partition of the laptop, the
> sound input 'CR-CR-CR' returns unless I MUTE a few functions. But muting
> these functions also end up in DISABLING them altogether. However it may
> be,  all the experiments at the Kubuntu partition so far have made me
> clear that the problem is a SOFTWARE settings problem.
>
> To finish this message, I provide you with some technical basic
> information with respect to the hardware I am working with. The laptop
> is this one:
> Asus Laptop, P4M 2GHz, 512MB, 20GB, Wifi, 17" TFT screen. The sound card
> is this one: Crystal WDM Audio. K-Mixer mentions the following about the
> processor: Intel 82801 CA-ICH3.
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice. Respectfully Yours,
>
> Bas.

Hi Bas,
No guarantees but maybe this will fix your problem. I had the same problem a
couple of years ago. The sound was more thmmp thmmp thmmp than cr-cr-cr. It
was driving me crazy. Here's how I solved it:
1. open kmix
2. click on the Input tab
3. Lower the CD slider (it's 2nd from the left on my installation) almost to
minimum.
The cr-cr-cr should go away.
Let us know if that works.
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!