(New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Sound input "CR-CR-CR"

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 13:05:58 UTC 2007

Dear Jonathan and other list members

Thanks for your attempt to help me a few steps further.
> The sound was more thmmp thmmp thmmp than cr-cr-cr. It was driving me crazy. Here's how I solved it:
> 1. open kmix
> 2. click on the Input tab
> 3. Lower the CD slider (it's 2nd from the left on my installation) almost to minimum.
> The cr-cr-cr should go away. Let us know if that works.

In an attempt to follow your advise, I managed to solve the problem to a
big extend, but not completely.
I opened KMIX/ Input tab and I lowered the CD slider. This did not work.
I muted and UNmuted the CD function altogether by means of the green
button above the slider: no difference neither. I stopped and started
the red recording function button below the slider: no effect neither.
I did the same tests with the slides, green and red buttons of all the
other functions mentioned at the the input tab of KMIX: mic, line, aux,
phone, capture and a few others. Nothing diminished or increased the
CR-CR-CR sound except the slide from the mic function itself.  I have
put now  the slider of the mic function  at the lowest level possible,
while keeping the red and green buttons bright. As a result, the
microphones of both the laptop and the headset do work, also in
combination with SKYPE. By doing so, I managed to minimise the CR-CR-CR
until a certain background level. When I listen to an MP3 file or to the
audio stream of a radio station, I do not hear hear any CR-CR-CR any
more. This is already a big progress. However I did not yet manage to
eliminate the problem completely. When I listen to my own voice via the
Skype sound test, I can clearly hear my words, however there the
CR-CR-CR sound is still there at a background level. Feedback from
someone I have been calling via Skype, points in the same direction.
So, if someone amongst you has any other idea, I would be happy to read it.

In the mean time, someone at the Kubuntu Forum advised me to take a look
at the so-called 'Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide': a kind
of check-list available via this link:
Later this week or next week, I will take a few hours to go through this
complicated, but probably useful check-list. At this mailing list, I
will briefly let know what will come out of this effort.

At this point I finish this message. Thanks for your attention.
Respectfully Yours.

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus