KDE 3.5 > KDE 4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:52:37 UTC 2007

On 03/12/2007, Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name> wrote:
> I have been tinkering with KDE4-RC1 and am frankly a wee bit confused by
> it. I am not sure what is a bug and what is a feature. I can see where
> some things might be headed and that they might not be there yet. I am
> waiting for RC2 (I do hope they put out an RC2) to see if things are a
> bit more intuitive and a lot more finished feeling.
>
> Here are some examples:
>
> - Right click does not seem to do anything useful where I expect it to

That is a bug. Intentional or not, that is a bug.

> - Tool bar is "dead" feeling. It as the "K" button, a clock and list of
> what is running.
>    - I can't configure it any differently
>    - It is huge
>    - It feel like it has lost the concept of being a low real-estate,
> quick reference status bar
> - Things that should be the "system tray" appear to be taking up large
> real-estate on the desktop.

That's super-karamba.

> - Things seem to stack in the middle of the screen and to move them is
> counter-intuitive.

File a bug explaining expected behaviour.

>    - I would expect to be able to click and drag. But you have to click
> on the "?" icon to be able to drag.

File it!

> - The "K" button appears to be taken straight from Vista. I don't know
> if that is good or bad yet.
>
> I have tried a number of applications and they seem to work well, though
> I have not been thorough in testing them. I use a mixture of KDE native,
> Gnome and other applications what are desktop agnostic. They all, so
> far, appear to be stable.
>

> I will admit to not having spent hours and hours with KDE4 but the time
> that I have spent leaves me hoping that this is not the end product.

It's not: there will be at least two more release candidates. Right
now we're looking at a January 11th 2008 release date, but don't be
surprised if it gets pushed back to February. Each RC lasts three
weeks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il